One of the main vocations of the Pablo Casals Festival is to promote new talents, to make music alive and to support contemporary creation trends. Since the creation of the Pablo Casals’ International Composition Competition in 2005, more than 500 composers worldwide (Europe, North Korea, United States, China, South America) have created a piece for any ensemble from trio to sextet. As homage to the Maestro Pablo Casals, cello is an obligatory instrument.
- The competitors are invited to submit one new chamber music composition,lasting about 15 minutes, in any formation for three to six instruments. Admitted instruments: violin, viola, cello (obligatory), flute, clarinet, oboe, bassoon, French horn, piano.
- The competition is open to composers of all nationalities, born after the 11th of April 1975.
- The selected works will be performed in Prades as a World Premiere in public and in presence of the jury, on Saturday the 11th of April 2015.
- The Great Prize is 12 000 euros. The Finalists Prize is 1 500 euros.
- The finalists are : Sumio Kobayachi (Japan), Igor Maia (Brazil) and Filippo Zapponi (Italy)