This summer the 7th International Composition Competition will be held in Prades. Composers from all over the world will compete in a musical joust; the winner’s name will forever be associated with that of Pablo Casals. The competition is a parallel event with the main summer 2017 Pablo Casals Festival itself: the winning work will be selected by a jury of professionals, and its composer will receive a diploma welcoming him or her to the close circle of International Composition Competitions winners.
The Pablo Casals Festival will then commission from him/her a second piece, including the mandatory cello, which will be played during the 2018 Festival. Who will follow the Italian Filippo Zapponi, awarded in 2015 ?
Please send by post to Festival Pablo Casals – 33 rue de l’Hospice – BP 50024 – 66502 Prades Cedex:
- The score and, if possible, a recording of the piece (number of players is unimportant – Video recording Mp4 or Audio Recording Mp3 of the piece on CD or USB Key)
- Curriculum Vitae
- Two references from personalities in the international music sphere.
- Photocopy of an identity document : The competition is open to composers of any nationality, born after January 1st 1982.
- A jury of soloists from the Pablo Casals Festival will select the winner during the 2017 festival (August 1st to 13th). The Pablo Casals Festival will then commission from him/her a chamber music work for any grouping of between three and six players. Permitted instruments: violin, viola, cello, double bass, flute, oboe, clarinet, French horn, bassoon, piano. Cello is mandatory.
- This commission of a chamber music piece is valued at 5000 €.
- The work will be given its world première in the Abbey of Saint Michel de Cuxa during the 2018 Pablo Casals Festival.
Deadline for registration: June 15th 2017